American-Style Red Beans and Rice Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 teaspoons adobo seasoning, divided
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
step 1: In a large saucepan combine olive oil, kidney beans, tomato sauce, 1/2 cup water, oregano, basil, thyme, salt, pepper and 2 teaspoons adobo. Simmer on low heat.
step 2: Meanwhile, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is cooked and all liquid is absorbed. Stir in remaining 3 teaspoons adobo. Serve beans over the rice.