Ann's Shrimp Etouffee Recipe
- 1 cup butter
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper to taste
step 1: In a large skillet, melt butter and saute onions, celery and garlic for about 45 minutes or until they are cooked down.
step 2: Stir in flour and cook briefly, do not brown. Stir in chopped shrimp and cook for 20 minutes.
step 3: Pour in 2 to 3 cups of water and mushrooms. Stir in paprika and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for 30 minutes. Should be a thick and have a gravy-like consistency.