- 4 cups chopped cauliflower
- 4 cups pearl onions
- 2 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cucumbers - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice, wrapped in cheesecloth
- 1 cup black olives
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 4 cups canned mushrooms
- 1 1/2 (5 ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked
step 1: In a large bowl with enough lightly salted water to cover, place the cauliflower, pearl onions, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, celery and cucumbers. Soak 8 to 12 hours, or overnight.
step 2: In a small bowl with enough lightly salted water to cover, place the carrots. Soak 8 to 12 hours, or overnight.
step 3: In a large saucepan, place the vegetable oil, vinegar, tomato paste and pickling spice. Bring the mixture to a boil. Drain and rinse the carrots, and place them in the mixture. Boil 10 minutes.
step 4: Drain and rinse the vegetables in the cauliflower mixture. Place them into the saucepan. Cook 10 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender but crisp.
step 5: Stir black olives, green olives, mushrooms and tuna into the mixture. Remove the mixture from heat. Discard the wrapped pickling spice. While still hot, transfer to sterile containers and refrigerate.