Apple and Sausage Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
- 2 (8.5 ounce) packages dry corn muffin mix
- 1 pound pork sausage links, thinly sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple - peeled, cored and chopped
- ½ pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 slices white bread, cut into cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
step 1: Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions. Cool and crumble.
step 2: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
step 3: Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain and set aside.
step 4: In a large skillet over medium heat, slowly cook and stir the mushrooms, celery, onion and garlic until soft.
step 5: In a large bowl, mix the crumbled prepared corn muffin mix, sausage, mushroom mixture, apple, bread, salt and pepper.
step 6: Transfer the mixture to a medium baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven 45 minutes, or until lightly browned.