Apples in Pajamas Recipe
- 4 large Granny smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced into 1/2 inch thick rings
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cups oil for frying, or as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
step 1: In a shallow bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Whisk in the eggs, 1 tablespoon of oil, milk, and water until batter is smooth. The batter should be just thick enough to stick to the apples and coat them. If the batter is too thin, more flour may be added. If the batter does not want to stick, toss the apples with a bit of flour.
step 2: Heat one inch of vegetable oil in a deep heavy skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
step 3: Coat apple slices with batter, and place 4 or 5 slices into the hot oil at a time. Fry until golden on one side, then use tongs to flip and fry until brown on the other side. Drain on paper towels. Stir together the cinnamon and sugar; sprinkle over the apple slices before serving.