Apricot-Orange Gelatin Salad Recipe
- 1 (15 ounce) can apricot halves, drained with juice reserved
- 2 (8 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, drained with juice reserved
- 2 (6 ounce) packages orange flavored Jell-O® mix
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby longhorn cheese
step 1: Drain and reserve syrup from apricots and pineapple. Add water to equal 2 1/2 cups.
step 2: In a mixing bowl, dissolve the gelatin in hot water. Stir in 1 1/2 cups reserved fruit syrup, set aside to cool.
step 3: To the gelatin mixture, add the apricots, pineapple, nuts and marshmallows. Stir to combine, pour into a lightly oiled 9x13 inch pan and chill until firm.
step 4: In a small sauce pan, combine the sugar, flour, egg, remaining fruit syrup and butter. Heat and stir constantly until thickened. Refrigerate until chilled.
step 5: Whip cream until stiff peaks form; fold into chilled custard mixture. Spread over gelatin, refrigerate, and sprinkle with cheese before serving.