Avocado Soup with Chicken and Lime Recipe
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas, julienned
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, sliced thinly
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into thin strips
- 1 quart chicken broth
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
step 1: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Arrange tortilla strips on a baking sheet.
step 2: Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
step 3: Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, and jalapenos in oil until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, chicken broth, lime juice, tomato, salt and pepper. Gently simmer until chicken is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Stir in avocado and cilantro and heat through, 3 to 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste.
step 4: Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with tortilla strips to serve.