Azteca Soup Recipe
- 10 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- salt to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 avocados - peeled, pitted and diced
step 1: Heat oil in large skillet and carefully drop in half the tortilla strips. Fry in batches until golden brown and crunchy. Place fried tortilla strips on a paper towel-lined plate and pat dry. Sprinkle salt on tortillas, tossing to coat both sides.
step 2: Using a blender or food processor, blend tomatoes, onion and cilantro until completely pureed.
step 3: In a saucepan, heat chicken broth, chipotle chili, and pureed vegetables. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Ladle soup into serving bowls. Prior to serving, add tortilla strips and avocado. Buen provecho!