Ortega® Hot Poppers Recipe
- 1 (3.5 ounce) can ORTEGA® Whole Jalapenos, drained
- 1 cup SARGENTO® Fancy Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cornflakes cereal, crushed
- vegetable oil
- ORTEGA® Thick & Chunky Salsa
- sour cream
step 1: CUT jalapenos lengthwise into halves; remove seeds.
step 2: COMBINE cheddar cheese, cream cheese and cilantro in small bowl. Place 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese mixture into each jalapeno half; chill for 15 minutes or until cheese is firm.
step 3: DIP each jalapeno in flour; shake off excess. Dip in eggs; coat with corn flake crumbs.
step 4: ADD vegetable oil to 1-inch depth in medium skillet; heat over high heat for 1 minute. Fry jalapenos, turning frequently with tongs, until golden brown on all sides. Remove from skillet; drain on paper towels. Serve with salsa and sour cream.