Baked Fake Steak with Gravy Recipe
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 17 saltine crackers, finely crushed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed beef and mushroom soup
- 1 (.75 ounce) packet dry brown gravy mix
step 1: In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, saltine crackers and milk. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, and mix until well blended. Line a 10x15 inch jellyroll pan with waxed paper. Press the beef mixture firmly into the pan. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 8 to 10 hours, or overnight.
step 2: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove plastic wrap from meat, and rub flour over the top side of the beef. Flip out of the pan onto waxed paper, and rub flour on the other side as well. Cut into pieces (I use a pizza cutter).
step 3: Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the meat until browned on each side, turning only once. Remove to a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, mix together the water, condensed soup, and gravy mix. Pour over the meat in the dish. Cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil.
step 4: Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven. Serve patties and gravy with potatoes, rice, or noodles.