Beef Stew IV Recipe
- 1 pound cubed beef stew meat
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 carrots, quartered
- 3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
step 1: Dredge beef in flour and then, in a medium stock pot, brown beef on all sides in shortening. Add salt, pepper, water, onion, paprika, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and bay leave. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
step 2: Add carrots and potatoes and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.
step 3: Remove bay leave and meat from stew, add 1 tablespoon flour or cornstarch and mix, in order to thicken stew. After mixing let sit for a few minutes to thicken, if not to desired thickness add more flour or cornstarch and repeat.
step 4: Once thickened return meat and add corn to stew, heat through and serve.