Beezie's Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 pound dry black beans
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup dry lentils
- 1 (28 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
step 1: In a large pot over medium-high heat, place the beans in three times their volume of water. Bring to a boil, and let boil 10 minutes. Cover, remove from heat and let stand 1 hour. Drain, and rinse.
step 2: In a slow cooker, combine soaked beans and 1 1/2 quarts fresh water. Cover, and cook for 3 hours on High.
step 3: Stir in carrot, celery, onion, garlic, bell peppers, jalapeno pepper, lentils, and tomatoes. Season with chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper, red wine vinegar, and salt. Cook on Low for 2 to 3 hours. Stir the rice into the slow cooker in the last 20 minutes of cooking.
step 4: Puree about half of the soup with a blender or food processor, then pour back into the pot before serving.