Belgian Christmas Cookies Recipe
- ⅔ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup finely chopped blanched almonds
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons red decorator sugar
- 2 teaspoons green decorator sugar
step 1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
step 2: In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition, then stir in the almond extract. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended. Turn into a greased 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pan and spread evenly to edges.
step 3: Sprinkle a mixture of almonds and cinnamon over batter, then sprinkle with a mixture of red and green sugars.
step 4: Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cut into bars while still warm.