Big M's Barbadian Chicken Skewers Recipe
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, cut into 6 wedges
- 2 habanero peppers, seeded
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup rum
- ⅜ cup dark molasses
- 4 limes, zested and juiced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
step 1: Place garlic, onion, habanero peppers, green onions, thyme, allspice, and ginger into the bowl of a food processor; blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a large, non metallic bowl, and stir in rum, molasses, and lime zest and juice. Place chicken in bowl, and turn to coat. Cover, and marinate for 24 hours.
step 2: Preheat grill for high heat.
step 3: Remove meat from marinade, and thread onto skewers. Boil marinade in a small saucepan for at least 3 minutes.
step 4: Brush grate with oil, and arrange skewers on hot grate. Slowly cook the chicken until slightly charred and cooked through, brushing with the marinade every time you turn the meat.