Bishop's Bread II Recipe
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and juice reserved
- 2 (12 ounce) packages semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 (8 ounce) packages chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 cups chopped pecans
step 1: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
step 2: In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition.
step 3: In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking powder. In a third bowl, combine the buttermilk, baking soda, vanilla extract and maraschino cherry juice.
step 4: Stir the milk mixture and flour mixture alternately into the egg mixture until a soft batter is formed. Fold in cherries, chocolate chips, dates, coconut and pecans. Pour batter into prepared pans.
step 5: Bake in preheated oven for 90 to 120 minutes, until loaves are firm and a toothpick inserted into the center of each loaf comes out clean.