Black Olive and Rosemary Focaccia Recipe
- Focaccia Dough
- 1 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees)
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 (.25 ounce) envelope rapid rise yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh rosemary
- 2 3/4 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large roma (plum) tomatoes, sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
step 1: Stir together the water, sugar, and yeast until dissolved, allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 cup rosemary, flour, and salt until a dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Gently knead in the black olives during the last few minutes of kneading. Place into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a towel, and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes.
step 2: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet, or sprinkle liberally with corn meal.
step 3: Deflate dough, and press into prepared baking sheet. Brush dough with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toss sliced tomatoes, and garlic with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with 2 tablespoons minced rosemary, salt, and pepper. Arrange the tomato slices over the dough in an even layer. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
step 4: Bake in preheated oven until puffed and golden brown; 15 to 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve immediately.