Borscht I Recipe
- 6 cups water
- 3/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper, divided
- 1/2 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium beet
- 1/2 cup canned peeled and diced tomatoes
- 3 potatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes
- 3 cups finely shredded cabbage, divided
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup diced potatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
step 1: Place water, salt, carrots, 1/2 of the bell pepper, celery, beet, tomatoes, and quartered potatoes in a large stock pot over high heat. Bring to a boil.
step 2: Melt 1/3 cup butter in a separate skillet over medium heat. Saute onions in butter until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove 1/2 cup of sauce from skillet, and set aside. Stir half of the cabbage into the skillet with remaining sauce, and continue simmering 5 minutes more, or until tender.
step 3: Remove beet from boiling liquid and discard. Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon or tongs, and place in a bowl with remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and the cream. Mash together until smooth.
step 4: Return the 1/2 cup of reserved onion-tomato sauce to the stock pot. Stir in diced potatoes, and simmer until just tender but still firm, approximately 5 minutes. Increase heat to a low boil, and stir in remaining cabbage, tomato sauce, and mashed potatoes. Reduce heat and simmer a few minutes more. Stir in remaining bell pepper, season with black pepper, and serve.