Brazilian Picadillo Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 (5 ounce) jar green olives, pitted and halved
- 5 ounces capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 6 cups canned tomatoes, half-drained
step 1: In a large stock pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Saute garlic, onion and green pepper until onions are transparent. Transfer onion mixture to a bowl and set aside. In the same pot, heat the remaining olive oil and brown the ground beef.
step 2: In a separate saucepan, combine the olives, capers, vinegar, salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves and hot sauce. Let simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
step 3: Place the olive mixture and the onion mixture into the pot with the ground beef. Add the half drained tomatoes and cook for 1 hour over medium heat; stirring occasionally.