Buttermilk Crusted Cheeseburger Pie Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 5 cups buttermilk baking mix
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 5 potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 8 ounces sliced process cheese food
step 1: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
step 2: In a large saucepan over medium high heat, brown the ground beef for 5 to 10 minutes; drain excess fat. Add the onion, salt, ground black pepper, chili powder, tomatoes, corn, peas and green beans. Reduce heat to low and let simmer.
step 3: Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the buttermilk baking mix and the milk. Mix well to form a dough. Split in half and roll dough out to line the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Make sure dough covers the bottom and sides of the dish.
step 4: After the beef mixture has simmered for about 15 to 20 minutes, pour into the baking dish over the dough. Spoon the mashed potatoes over the beef mixture, spreading evenly. Layer the cheese over the potatoes. Roll out the other half of the dough to fit over the top. Trim the edges and seal .
step 5: Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 25 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown.