Cajun Crawfish and Shrimp Etouffe Recipe
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup fish stock
- 1 pound crawfish tails
- 1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
step 1: Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Gradually stir in flour, and stir constantly until the mixture turns 'peanut butter' brown or darker, at least 15 or 20 minutes. I use a large fork with the flat side to the bottom of the pan in a side to side motion. This is your base sauce or 'Roux'. It is very important to stir this constantly. If by chance the roux burns, discard and start over.
step 2: Once the roux is browned, add the onions, garlic, celery and bell pepper to the skillet, and saute for about 5 minutes to soften. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and fish stock, and season with the seafood seasoning. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
step 3: Season the sauce with hot pepper sauce and cayenne pepper (if using), and add the crawfish and shrimp. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the shrimp are opaque.