Cannellini Beans and Greens on Garlic Toast Recipe
- 3 cups water
- 12 cups torn kale (about 1 bunch)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup diced seeded plum tomato
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 4 (1.5 ounce) slices country or peasant bread, toasted
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
step 1: Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a large Dutch oven; add kale. Cook 6 minutes or until tender; drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.
step 2: Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and oregano; saute 5 minutes. Add tomato, salt, crushed red pepper, and minced garlic; saute 1 minute. Stir in kale, reserved liquid, and beans; cook 3 minutes.
step 3: Rub garlic halves on 1 side of each toast slice. Place toast slices, garlic sides up, on 4 plates; sprinkle each slice with 2 tablespoons cheese. Top each with 1 cup bean mixture and 1 tablespoon cheese.