Cantonese Lean Pork Congee Recipe
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 5 cups water
- ½ pound boneless pork loin roast
- 1 ½ teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1 salted (hard-cooked) duck egg, chopped
- 1 hundred-year egg, minced
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger root, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- ground black pepper to taste
- soy sauce to taste
step 1: Rinse and drain the rice, and place in a large pot. Stir in the salt and oil, and let stand for 5 minutes.
step 2: Add the pork to the rice, and stir in the water. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, or until the pork is cooked through. Remove the pork from the pot with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Continue to simmer the rice for 20 minutes. Chop the pork into small cubes, and mix with the salted egg and hundred-year egg.
step 3: After the 20 minutes are up, stir the pork and egg mixture back into the congee along with the oyster sauce. Serve in bowls, and garnish with ginger and green onion. Have soy sauce and pepper on the side for seasoning.