Carne Aravada Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons guajillo chile powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- salt to taste
step 1: In a saucepan, combine water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and beef cubes. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
step 2: Combine the chile powder, minced garlic, and oregano in a small bowl. Add enough of the beef cooking water to make a paste. After 30 minutes, stir the spice paste into the beef mixture.
step 3: Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook flour, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Take 1 cup of the spiced cooking water and whisk it into the flour mixture until smooth. Stir in the cumin, chopped parsley, and salt.
step 4: Transfer the thickened sauce mixture into the saucepan with the beef. Simmer until tender, about 1 1/2 hours.