Catfish Beignets with Remoulade Dipping Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- vegetable shortening for deep frying
- 1 teaspoon Rustic Rub
- For Rustic Rub:
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/4 tablespoons dried oregano
- For Remoulade Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons Creole or whole-grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
step 1: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute for 3 minutes or until slightly wilted. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the cayenne pepper. Add catfish pieces and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and green onions. Saute for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and cool.
step 2: Mix eggs, milk, baking powder and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Add flour, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well until the batter is smooth. Fold in catfish mixture.
step 3: Heat shortening in a deep fryer or a large, heavy saucepan to 360 degrees F on a deep-frying thermometer. Drop heaping spoonfuls of batter into the hot oil, one at a time. When the beignets pop to the surface, roll them around with a slotted spoon to brown evenly. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle beignets with Rustic Rub and serve with Remoulade Dipping Sauce.
step 4: For Rustic Rub: Mix all ingredients in a small bowl until well blended. The rub mixture can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Makes about 1 cup.
step 5: For Remoulade Dipping Sauce: Place all ingredients in a food processor and process for 30 seconds. Use immediately or refrigerate the sauce for several days in an airtight container. Makes 2 cups.