Catfish Institute Classic Fried Catfish Recipe
- 4 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- vegetable oil
- For garnish: Sliced tomato and parsley sprigs
step 1: Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, cayenne pepper and garlic powder. Coat farm-raised catfish with mixture, shaking off excess.
step 2: Fill deep pot or 12-inch skillet half full with vegetable oil. Heat to 350 degrees F. Add catfish in single layer, and fry until golden brown, about 5 - 6 minutes, depending on size. Remove and drain on paper towels.