Celery Smashers with Cream Gravy Recipe
- 5 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/3 cup diced celery hearts
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
step 1: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
step 2: Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Saute celery and onion for about 8 minutes, or until tender.
step 3: To the cooked potatoes add the celery and onion, 2 tablespoons butter, 1/4 cup cream, celery salt and ground black pepper. With an electric mixer on low, beat until desired consistency is reached.
step 4: To make the gravy melt 2 teaspoons butter in a small saucepan. Add flour and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and cook over medium-high heat until thickened. Stir in 1/3 cup cream and onion powder; heat through.