Cheddar Sandwich Souffle Recipe
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ground cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg white
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
step 1: Preheat broiler. Separate eggs and beat yolks lightly. Add salt, mustard, black pepper, and cayenne pepper, and beat until thick and pale color. Stir in Cheddar cheese. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into cheese mixture.
step 2: Arrange bread slices on baking sheet and toast one side in broiler. Remove from broiler, turn bread slices, and butter untoasted side. Arrange bread slices close together on baking sheet. Spoon the egg-cheese mixture evenly over bread slices.
step 3: Bake 10 to 12 minutes in 350 degrees, or until puffed and golden. Serve immediately.