Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Rolls Recipe
- 2 tablespoons dried tomatoes (not oil pack)
- 4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 12 ounces total)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried fines herbes or leaf sage, crushed
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
step 1: In small bowl place dried tomatoes. Add enough boiling water to cover; soak for 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Finely chop; set aside.
step 2: Place each chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Working from center to the edges, pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to 1/8-inch thickness. Remove plastic wrap.
step 3: In a small shallow bowl combine the flour, salt, and pepper. In another small shallow bowl combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and paprika. In another small bowl slightly beat the egg.
step 4: Cut cheddar cheese into four 3x1x1/2-inch pieces. Place a cheese stick on each pounded chicken breast half. Sprinkle each with some of the chopped dried tomatoes and dried herbs. Fold in the sides of each chicken breast and roll up tightly. Roll in flour mixture, egg, and then bread crumb mixture.
step 5: Arrange chicken rolls, seam side down, in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Drizzle chicken rolls with melted margarine or butter. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F. oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.