Cheesy Beef 'n Spinach Cassata Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef (80 percent lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 10 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted, divided
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen thawed spinach
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 sheets frozen 14 x 18-inch phyllo pastry leaves, thawed
- Ripe olives
step 1: Brown ground beef with onion, green pepper and 1 clove garlic in a large frying pan over medium heat; pour off drippings. Sprinkle salt over beef mixture. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, oregano and pepper; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; reserve.
step 2: Heat one tablespoon butter in another frying pan. Add remaining garlic; cook 1 minute. Add spinach; cover and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in eggs, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; mix well.
step 3: Line a 9-inch springform pan with 6 phyllo leaves, overlapping the edges. Brush lightly with butter. Spoon beef mixture into the pan; top with spinach mixture. Fold edges of phyllo over top. Cut four 9-inch circles from remaining phyllo leaves. Place one circle over filling; Brush will butter. Repeat three times. Cut through leaves to form 8 wedges. Brush with remaining butter. Place pan in shallow baking pan (to catch drippings).
step 4: Bake at 350 degrees oven for 35 minutes. Sprinkle remaining two tablespoons of Parmesan cheese over the top; continue baking 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes. Remove from springform rim; cut into wedges. Garnish with parsley and olives.