Cherry Clafouti Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds pitted fresh sweet cherries
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 8 egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (7 inch) vanilla bean, split lengthwise and crushed
- 3 tablespoons kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar for dusting
step 1: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 10 inch tart pan, or a similar sized baking dish.
step 2: Spread out the cherries in the bottom of the prepared pan, and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and sugar. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites, milk and cream. Stir in the kirsch and vanilla bean. Gradually whisk in the flour mixture until smooth. Remove the vanilla bean from the batter, and pour it over the cherries.
step 3: Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until puffed and browned. Let cool until the top sinks in slightly. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.