Cherry Nut Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds or other chopped nuts
- 3/4 cup Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 medium eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups dairy sour cream
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
step 1: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan with CRISCO(R) No-Stick Cooking Spray.
step 2: For topping, combine sugar and flour in small bowl. Mix in Butter Flavor CRISCO(R) Shortening until crumbly.
step 3: For cake, cream Butter Flavor CRISCO(R) Shortening, sugar and vanilla in large bowl. Add eggs, beating well. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
step 4: Spread half the batter in greased pan. Cover with half the cherry pie filling, spreading as evenly as possible. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with nuts and topping mixture.
step 5: Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes or until top is brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool until slightly warm or to room temperature.
step 6: For glaze, add enough milk (about 1 tablespoon) to confectioners' sugar to make desired consistency. Stir in almond extract. Drizzle over cake.