Chicken-Avocado Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 10 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 pounds boned, skinned chicken breasts
- 1 (1/2 pound) firm ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
step 1: In a 5- to 6-quart nonstick pan over medium heat, stir onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, chili powder, and pepper until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes (including juice), and green chilies. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
step 2: Meanwhile, stack tortillas and cut into 1/8-inch-wide strips. Add to boiling broth. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
step 3: Rinse chicken and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Peel the avocado, pit, and thinly slice.
step 4: Add chicken to broth and return to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chicken is white in center (cut to test), about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro and salt to taste. Ladle into soup bowls, garnish with avocado, and add cheese to taste.