Chicken Chimichangas Recipe
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- ½ cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 ½ onion, diced, divided
- 6 (12 inch) flour tortillas
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken breast, divided
- 1 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced black olives
- 4 cups refried beans, divided
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 avocados, peeled and pitted
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 green onions, diced
- ¼ cup finely chopped jalapeno chile peppers
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
step 1: In a medium saucepan combine the broth, rice, sauce, and 1 diced onion. Mix and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
step 2: Meanwhile, heat tortillas in a large skillet (so that they are soft enough to fold).
step 3: When rice mixture is ready, spoon equal amounts of the following onto each tortilla: Chicken, shredded Jack cheese, diced onion, olives, rice mixture and beans. Roll tortillas, tucking in sides to prevent filling from spilling over.
step 4: Heat oil in a large skillet and fry the filled tortillas, turning, until browned on all sides. Drain on paper towels.
step 5: To Serve: In a medium bowl combine the avocados, cilantro, lemon juice, green onions, chile peppers and tomatoes. Mash together. Place shredded lettuce on a platter, topped with chimichangas, avocado mix, sour cream and shredded Cheddar cheese.