Chicken Fricasee Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 (3 pound) whole chickens, cut into pieces
- 2 onion, peeled and sliced into rings
- 6 baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas
step 1: Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven, over medium-high heat. Briefly brown chicken pieces in batches. When all of the pieces have been browned, return them all to the pot and cover with a layer of sliced onions, and then potatoes. Season with pepper and sprinkle with parsley. Pour the chicken broth over all.
step 2: Cover and simmer on low heat for 45 minutes, pushing potatoes down into the liquid occasionally. When potatoes are tender but not mushy, add frozen peas and simmer for 5 more minutes.