Chicken Pot-au-Feu Recipe
- 4 (6 ounce) boned, skinned chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 red thin-skinned potatoes (1 in. wide)
- 8 baby carrots (4 in. long)
- 4 baby bok choy (4 to 5 oz. each)
- 1/3 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- Salt and pepper
step 1: Rinse chicken and pat dry. Pour oil into a 5- to 6-quart nonstick pan over high heat. Add chicken and turn as needed to brown lightly on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Transfer chicken to a bowl. To pan, add broth, wine, and thyme; cover and bring to a boil.
step 2: Meanwhile, scrub or peel potatoes. When broth is boiling, add potatoes. Cover, return to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
step 3: As potatoes cook, peel carrots. Cut bok choy in half lengthwise; rinse well.
step 4: Add carrots to pan and arrange chicken in a single layer on vegetables. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Lay bok choy on chicken; cover and simmer until chicken is white in center of thickest part (cut to test), about 5 minutes longer.
step 5: In a small bowl, mix sour cream, mustard, shallots, and capers.
step 6: With a slotted spoon, transfer equal portions of chicken and vegetables to wide soup bowls. Ladle hot broth equally into bowls and add sour cream sauce, salt, and pepper to taste.