Chicken Roti From India Recipe
- 5 dried red chile peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon anise seeds
- 3 green chile peppers, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons tamarind pulp, seeded
- 1 slice fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 ½ pounds shredded chicken meat
- ½ cup fresh shredded coconut
step 1: To Make Ground Masala: In a small skillet saute the red chili peppers, coriander, chili powder, poppy seed, cumin, garlic, cardamom and anise. Let cool and transfer to a small bowl, then grind together with the green chile peppers, tamarind, ginger and cilantro to make a smooth paste. Set aside.
step 2: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and saute onions until brown. Add ground masala paste and saute for about 7 to 10 minutes.
step 3: Add chicken pieces, reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Bring all to a boil, boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Garnish with shredded coconut and serve.