Chicken Sausage Heroes Recipe
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- ½ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and diced
- ½ cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 (1 pound) loaf Italian bread, cut in half lengthwise
- 4 (1 ounce) slices provolone cheese
step 1: In a bowl, mix the ground chicken, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, sun-dried tomatoes, parsley, fennel seeds, pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Form into 8 links.
step 2: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet, and cook the sausage links 10 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
step 3: Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a separate skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion and garlic about 5 minutes, until tender. Stir in the green bell pepper and red bell pepper. Cook and stir about 5 minutes, until tender. Sprinkle with vinegar and season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
step 4: Place sausages on the bottom of the loaf of bread, cover with the vegetables, and layer with provolone cheese. Form a long sandwich by replacing the top of the loaf, and cut into slices to serve.