Chicken Soup with Adzuki Beans, Escarole, and Sweet Potato Recipe
- 1 ½ quarts chicken broth
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup dry adzuki beans
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 onions, cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1 yellow squash, cubed
- ⅓ medium head escarole, coarsely chopped
step 1: Place the chicken broth in a large pot. Mix in the chicken thighs, adzuki beans, wild rice, onions, and garlic. Season with sage, thyme, and rosemary. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook 1 hour.
step 2: Remove chicken from the pot, shred with a fork, and set aside.
step 3: Stir the sweet potato into the pot. Continue cooking about 5 minutes, until sweet potato is slightly tender. Mix in the zucchini, yellow squash, and escarole. Continue cooking 15 minutes.
step 4: Return the shredded chicken to the pot. Cook until heated through. Increase the amount of broth if the soup seems too thick.