Chicken with Herb Dumplings Recipe
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 cup all-purpose baking mix
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ½ pounds bone-in chicken parts
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups all-purpose baking mix
- ⅔ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
step 1: Heat shortening in a large skillet over medium-high heat. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup baking mix, salt, paprika, and pepper. Coat chicken with mixture, and fry in shortening, turning until browned. Remove chicken to paper towels, and drain fat.
step 2: Wipe out skillet, and return to stove. Stir soup and milk together in skillet. Place chicken in pan, and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover skillet, and simmer 45 minutes, turning chicken from time to time.
step 3: Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine 2 cups baking mix, milk, parsley, and poultry seasoning, stirring together until a soft dough forms. Once the chicken has cooked 45 minutes, drop the dumpling mixture by tablespoonfuls into the simmering gravy. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes; cover, and cook 10 minutes more, until dumplings expand.