Chicken with Rice Recipe
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted chicken parts
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 (24 ounce) jar ORTEGA® Thick & Chunky Salsa
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
step 1: COOK bacon in large saucepan over medium-high heat until crispy; remove from saucepan. Crumble bacon; set aside. Add chicken to saucepan; cook, turning frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove from saucepan. Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings from saucepan.
step 2: ADD onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add rice; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in salsa, broth, tomato sauce, salt and cumin. Bring to a boil; place chicken over rice mixture. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until most of moisture is absorbed and chicken is no longer pink near bone. Sprinkle with bacon.