- vegetable oil
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup (1 small) chopped onion
- 1 3/4 cups ORTEGA® Thick & Chunky Salsa
- 1 (10 ounce) can ORTEGA® Enchilada Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups SARGENTO® Fancy Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/4 cup ORTEGA® Pickled Jalapeno Slices
- Sour cream (optional)
- Sliced avocado (optional)
step 1: PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F.
step 2: ADD vegetable oil to 1-inch depth in medium skillet; heat over high heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Place tortilla strips in oil; fry, turning frequently with tongs, until light golden brown. Remove from skillet; place on paper towels to soak.
step 3: REMOVE all but 1 tablespoon oil from skillet. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in salsa and enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes.
step 4: LAYER half of tortilla strips in ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Top with half of salsa mixture and half of cheese; repeat layers. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with jalapenos, sour cream and avocado just before serving.
step 5: NOTE: Frying step may be eliminated by breaking ORTEGA Taco Shells or ORTEGA Tostada shells into small pieces and using them in place of tortilla strips for a quick and easy alternative.