Chinese Almond Chicken Recipe
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sherry
- 3 pounds chicken, skin removed, meat removed from bones and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 ½ cups peanut oil for frying
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- ⅓ cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup diagonally sliced bamboo shoots
- ½ cup diagonally sliced celery
- ¼ cup thinly sliced onion
- 10 whole water chestnuts, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- ⅓ cup chicken stock
step 1: Mix the soy sauce, salt, cornstarch, and sherry in a large bowl. Stir in chicken; cover and refrigerate.
step 2: Heat 1 1/2 cups of the peanut oil in a large, deep skillet. Fry almonds in the oil until golden, about 1 minute. Drain fried almonds on a paper towel.
step 3: Drain all but 3 tablespoons of oil from the skillet. Stir in the mushrooms, bamboo shoots, celery, onion, and water chestnuts. Cook and stir vegetables for 1 minute. Remove from skillet.
step 4: Heat 1/4 cup oil in the skillet. Cook and stir the marinated chicken in hot oil until no longer pink in the center, and the juices run clear, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in cooked vegetables, chicken stock, and reserved soy sauce mixture; simmer until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in fried almonds before serving.