Chinese Chicken and Corn Soup Recipe
- 1 (6 ounce) boned, skinned chicken breast half
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon thinly shredded fresh ginger
- 4 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) package shelf-stable silken-style firm tofu
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (including tops)
- Salt and white pepper
step 1: Rinse chicken and pat dry. Slice breast crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick strips. In a small bowl, mix chicken with wine, 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
step 2: Peel garlic and mince or press. In a 3- to 4-quart nonstick pan over high heat, stir the garlic and ginger in 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil for 10 seconds. Add chicken and stir until meat is no longer pink on the surface, about 2 minutes. Add broth, cover pan, and bring to a boil.
step 3: Cut tofu into 1/2-inch cubes. Add tofu and corn to broth and return mixture to a simmer.
step 4: In a small bowl, blend remaining 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup water until smooth; add to soup, and stir until mixture boils. In the same small bowl, beat egg to blend, then pour into soup, stirring to form thin strands, about 30 seconds. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, the green onions, and salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into soup bowls.