Chocolate Pavlova Recipe
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 (1 ounce) squares bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 (1 ounce) square bittersweet chocolate, melted
step 1: Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
step 2: Beat together egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar to soft peaks in a large bowl. Beat in sugar, about three tablespoons at a time, until stiff and glossy peaks form. Sift cocoa and cornstarch over egg whites, and gently fold in. Gently fold in vinegar, vanilla, and melted chocolate.
step 3: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and spread the meringue into an eight inch circle. Bake in the center of the oven for 1 1/2 hours until the outside is crispy and the center is soft. Using a metal spatula, loosen the meringue from the parchment paper, and remove to cool on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely, about one hour.
step 4: Whip cream with the sugar, and spread over the meringue. Arrange strawberries decoratively over the top, and drizzle with chocolate.