Chocolate Squares I Recipe
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
step 2: Cook chopped dates and water over low heat until soft. Set aside.
step 3: Cream together sugar and shortening. Add eggs and beat well. Stir in flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa and vanilla and mix well. Stir in date mixture.
step 4: Pour in 9 x 11 inch pan and top with chocolate chips and chopped nuts. Bake until toothpick comes out clean. (10 - 15 minutes)