Sauerbraten Klopse (Sauerbraten Meatballs) Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
step 1: In a large bowl, mix together ground beef, milk, and bread crumbs. Season with cloves, allspice, salt, and pepper. Shape into 1 inch balls.
step 2: Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook the meatballs until evenly brown; drain excess fat. Stir in water, vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, and bay leaf. Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Skim off any fat. Transfer meatballs to a serving dish, and keep warm.
step 3: Combine flour with 2 tablespoons of water, and whisk into pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Pour gravy over meatballs.