Chow Chow I Recipe
- 12 1/2 pounds green tomatoes, chopped
- 8 large onions, chopped
- 10 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6 chopped green chile peppers
- 1 quart distilled white vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
step 1: In a large bowl combine tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and salt. Let stand overnight.
step 2: Drain the tomato/pepper mixture and add the hot chile peppers, vinegar, sugar, and horseradish. Wrap the cinnamon, allspice, and cloves in cheesecloth or a porous bag, and add to tomato/pepper mixture.
step 3: Boil for 15 minutes, or until tender.
step 4: Pack tightly in sterilized jars and seal.