Chunky Chili Cornbread Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon bread machine yeast
step 1: Place the ingredients into the pan of a bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Set the pan in the machine and close the lid. Select the Dough cycle, and press start.
step 2: When the cycle is complete, remove the dough to a lightly floured surface, and press out all of the air. Roll dough up into a tight loaf, and pinch the seam. Place into a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Let rise for about 40 minutes, or until your finger leaves an impression when you poke the bread gently.
step 3: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake the loaf for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until nicely browned. When done, the loaf should sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.