Cincinnati-Style Chili Recipe
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen burger-style crumbles
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
step 1: Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Saute onion until tender. Mix in burger-style crumbles and garlic; cook until the crumbles have browned.
step 2: Stir in tomato sauce, water, chopped tomatoes, vinegar, chili powder, cinnamon, paprika, allspice, light brown sugar, cocoa, and hot sauce. Heat over medium-high heat until the mixture begins to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes until sauce thickens.
step 3: While the sauce is thickening, bring a large pot of salted water to boil; place spaghetti in the water and bring it to a boil again. Cook until al dente. Drain well.
step 4: Stir beans into the chili and mix lightly.
step 5: Spoon cooked spaghetti into bowls and top with chili. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.