Cock a Leekie Soup Recipe
- 4 pounds chicken thighs, bone in, skin removed
- 10 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup barley
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 7 leeks, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thickly sliced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
step 1: In a large pot over high heat, combine the chicken, water, onion and barley. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour. Remove chicken, discard the bones and skin, chop meat into bite size pieces and return to the pot.
step 2: Add the chicken broth, leeks, celery, thyme, parsley, salt and ground black pepper. Simmer for 30 more minutes, or until all vegetables are tender.